INTERNET AND SOCIAL NETWORKING
With the growing variety of mobile devices, social networking sites, and online offers, it is important to protect yourself and your computer. We’ve compiled this list of 10 cyber security tips to help you take action now.
- Do not use your full or partial Social Security number as a Personal Identification Number (PIN), user ID or password.
- Make sure that your password is 8 or more characters and combines letters, numerals, and symbols. Do not use the same user ID and password for your financial accounts as you do for other sites.
- Consider a screen lock on your mobile device. Many mobile phones offer this option, as well as other customizable security settings, which can help keep your phone and information secure.
- Do not use your mobile device to store sensitive personal information or bank account numbers.
- Never respond to urgent email claiming to be from a bank or any company that requests your account information or personal details.
- Limit the amount of personal information you provide on social networking sites. The more information you post, the easier it may be for a criminal to use that information to steal your identity, access your data, or commit other crimes.
- Be cautious about messages you receive on social networking sites that contain links. Even links that look like they come from friends can sometimes be harmful or fraudulent – attempting to gain control of your computer or steal your personal information. If you are suspicious, don’t click the link. Contact your friend or the business directly to verify the validity.
- Keep your computer operating system and browser up to date with the latest software and security downloads. These may be called “patches” or “service packs” and should be installed as soon as possible.
- Don’t open attachments or install free software from unknown sources; this may expose your computer and the information on it to unauthorized sources.
- Install a comprehensive Firewall/Antivirus/Anti-spyware software package on your computer. These software suites help detect and remove viruses and spyware, which can steal vital information.